Country of origin: Australia
The terms “blue” and “bluey” have a number of meanings in Australia. Let’s look at a few.
Blue can mean;
- A fight: “Him and his mate had a blue yesterday”
- A mistake: “I made a blue”
Bluey can mean;
- A person with red hair,
- An Australian Cattle Dog or Blue Heeler,
- A blue-bottle jellyfish (gives a nasty sting),
- A heavy wool or felt jacket worn by mining and construction workers.
Listen to the words blue and bluey
Slang – Dictionary Definition
A type of language consisting of words and phrases that are regarded as very informal, are more common in speech than writing, and are typically restricted to a particular context or group of people.
image courtesy of petcarevision.com